The history of Aird & Berlis LLP dates back to 1919 when its predecessor opened its doors for business. In 1974, the firms of Zimmerman, Grant, Hugo, Paddon, Worley & Bennett merged with Edison, Aird & Berlis to form Aird, Zimmerman & Berlis. The name was changed to Aird & Berlis circa 1978, and the LLP suffix was added later.
John Aird was appointed to the Senate of Canada in the 1960s and served as Ontario's 23rd lieutenant governor from 1980 to 1985. Doug Berlis was the gold medalist in his graduating year at law school. Together, they built a firm of people-focused, bright, technical lawyers and created an atmosphere of entrepreneurship and teamwork. This atmosphere continues to drive the firm's success today and into tomorrow.
A number of our practitioners are certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as Specialists in their respective areas of practice. Our lawyers are recognized for their expertise year after year by authoritative guides to the legal profession, such as:
Aird & Berlis LLP is proud to be the Toronto law firm representative of Interlaw. Interlaw is an international network of pre-vetted, annually reviewed, full service law firms in more than 120 cities worldwide. Criteria for membership include impeccable ethical standards, reputation for excellence, client responsiveness, expertise in legal representation, transparency in billing, technological capabilities and shared core values.